Protection of Personal Information Act, No. 4 of 2013
The purpose of this policy is to enable Maru Towers to:
– Comply with the law in respect of the data it holds about individuals
– Follow good practice
– Protect Maru Towers’ staff
This policy applies to information relating to identifiable individuals, in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (POPI Act).
2. Policy statement Maru Towers will:
– Comply with both the law and good practice
– Respect individuals’ rights
– Be open and honest with individuals whose data is held
Maru Towers recognizes that its first priority under the POPI Act is to avoid causing harm to individuals. Maru Towers will keep information securely in the right hands and retain good quality information.
The Act aims to ensure that the legitimate concerns of individuals about the ways in which their data may be used are taken into account. In addition to being open and transparent, Maru Towers will seek to give individuals as much choice as is possible and be reasonable over what data is held and how it is used.
3. Key Risks
Maru Towers has identified the following potential key risks, which Maru Towers addresses:
– Breach of confidentiality (information being given out inappropriately)
– Insufficient clarity about the range of uses to which data will be, leading to candidates being insufficiently informed
– Failure to offer choice about data use when appropriate
– Breach of security by allowing unauthorized access
– Harm to individuals if personal data is not up to date
4. Information collected
Maru Towers respects the privacy of all candidates. We collect and process information of candidates in order to place them successfully in an appropriate position.
Examples of information collected:
– Contact number
– ID copies
– Salary advice
– Employment history
5. Disclosure of information
Maru Towers may disclose candidate information to potential employers.
6. Personal Information Security
According to the POPI Act “Personal Information” means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person.
Maru Towers is legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the Personal Information we hold to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. Maru Towers will, on an ongoing basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that all candidates’ Personal Information is secure.